Cover of the FIU Fall 2016 Magazine: Shonda and Shalisha Witherspoon and Dr. Rishe
Cover of the 2016 NSF Breakthroughs Compendium
Cover of the 2014 NSF Breakthroughs Compendium
From the NSF 2010 Budget Request to Congress
2016 book Interaction Design 3D User Interfaces, 805 pages, among 300 publications
2015 Fuzzy Logic Book, among 300 publications
Havana media coverage: Dr. Rishe and TerraFly
Naphtali David Rishe, Ph.D.
The inaugural Outstanding University Professor, Florida International University
Eminent Chair Professor of Computer Science
Director, NSF FIU-FAU-Dubna Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Advanced Knowledge Enablement
Director, FIU High Performance Database Research Center
Director, Geospatial Laboratory
Director, Health Information Technology Initiative
Dr. Rishe is
- Author of 4 books on database design, geography, and HCI;
- Editor of 6 books on database management, high performance computing, and fuzzy logic;
- Inventor of 5 U.S. patents on database querying, semantic database performance, Internet data extraction, health informatics, and transportation;
- Author of 300 papers in journals and proceedings on Databases, Software Engineering, Geographic Information Systems, Internet, Human-Computer Interfaces, and Data Mining for Personalized Medicine;
- Awardee of over $55 million in research grants by Government and Industry, including NASA, NSF, IBM, DoI, USGS, and DoT;
- Architect of major industrial projects both prior to his academic career, and as a consultant since;
- Founder and Director of the High Performance Database Research Center at FIU (HPDRC);
- Director of the NSF International FIU-FAU-Dubna Industry-University Cooperative Research Center for Advanced Knowledge Enablement (I/UCRC-CAKE);
- the inaugural FIU Outstanding University Professor.
- Principal of the TerraFly project, which has been extensively covered by worldwide press, including the New York Times, USA Today, NPR, Science and Nature journals, and FOX TV News. Of the 53,000 NSF-funded projects in 2009, it chose 120, including Rishe's TerraFly, for the NSF annual report to Congress.
Current NSF grants under Rishe's P.I.ship include:
- $2.9M Moving Objects Databases for Exploration of Virtual and Real Environments;
- $1.4M Industry-University Cooperative Research Center;
- $1M Development of a High-Performance Database Appliance for Geospatial Applications;
- $700K Development of an Integrated, Geospatial Analytics Research Instrument;
- $750K Instrument for Information Science and Computing in Neuroscience;
- and over $1M in smaller current NSF grants.
A current U.S. Department of Transportation award under Rishe's P.I.-ship is the $11.4M TIGER-2013.
Rishe's current industrial grants include:
- $800K from ALTA Pix for integration into TerraFly of ultra-high resolution ALTA aerial photography
- $1.5M industrial membership fees in the I/UCRC
- $600K in subcontracts from SBIR companies
- $1M in auxiliary income; and
- $200K in donations.
Rishe is the Founder and President of a university spinoff company TerraFly Inc, a recipient a $1M NSF Small Business Innovation Research Award.
High Performance Database Research Center,
School of Computing and Information Sciences,
University Park, FIU ECS-243, Miami, FL 33199
Telephone: (305) 348-1706; FAX: (305) 348-1707; http://hpdrc.fiu.edu